Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Our final day in China and the long trip home.

So it turns out that I am not very good at updating everyday on the blog.  But I did want to write down a few things, partly to remind me of things and partly to help others to know what to expect. 

Thursday we stayed at the hotel to pack and rest and for Silas to work on homework.  We had to wait for the babies' visas to arrive about 4:30 pm.  Thankfully our guide was able to get us a late check out so we did not have to wait around from noon until 4:30 in the hotel lobby.  At the right time we all met in the lobby, said goodbye to each other and the guides, received our visa and immigration package, and loaded up in our own private, nice, new minivan.  We were on the road by 4:45.  The driver must live in Hong Kong because his steering wheel was on the right side of the van.  It was a quiet ride. 

After a couple of hours we got out at the customs building.  We had to get out and go through the building on foot and meet the driver on the other side.  The agent at our line kept looking at me and at my passport picture.  I was starting to get nervous, trying to think what they could do with me and 2 kids.  She called another person over, who also kept looking at me.  They talked a little, and I got more nervous.  She finally asked me if I had any other documentation. Thankfully I had my wallet with my drivers license in it.  She looked hard at it and finally decided it was ok and let me go.  We met the driver on the other side and continued on about another 1 hour to the hotel.

On the ride to Hong Kong, I was struck by how many people live in this country, more than a billion, and I get to take this one little person home with me.  I do think it is a miracle that God put us together so that Steve and I get to be her parents.  How could we have found this one precious little soul in the midst of masses of people?  I was feeling so thankful and overwhelmed. 

The next morning we went plenty early to the airport which is connected to the hotel.  I was glad we had plenty of time because it is a huge building and we had to wait in line to check in, and then through security, and then again through customs.  The airport is a mall too.  There were dozens of shops.  I succumbed to a Piglet purchase from the Disney store. 



Our plane left late.  But we had a full night's sleep at that point so we were doing ok.  And I was so impressed with the staff at the airline.  They took the initiative to come tell us that we were leaving late and also came to me to ask to help me get the stroller packed up for the flight.  They also came and invited me to board ahead of the long line. 

The very long trip home does not need to be written about.  I have no meaningful advice I can give.  I would rather give birth multiple times rather than repeat that ordeal.  Rachel hates seatbelts and confinement and she and I both got super tired before it was over. 

Then we had issues with flights leaving Chicago, but we made it.  I was very thankful for a 5 minute visit with a family from our adoption group that we happened to see in the Chicago airport (even though they had left from Beijing and we left from Hong Kong).  I needed that hug! 

As expected (see seatbelt comment above) Rachel did not appreciate the safety of the car seat.  She screamed until we stopped at McDonald's and got her some ice cream.  Then she was ok until about 10 minutes before home.

I will save the home blog for another day, hopefully tomorrow.  We are doing well. 



No comments:

Post a Comment